Friday, December 28, 2012

Does more make it better?


This last year I've worked on several writing projects with a specified word count.  I always found that I had already reached the limit and still had several more thoughts and details I wanted to add in.  This was a really good learning experience for me as it makes you think about what you are saying, how it could be reworded, what can be left out, and what is really of value to the story. 

There are probably lots of situations like this where more doesn’t make it better.  I’ll refer to words here but it could be about other things as well.  We let more words fill the page thinking more is better but then the message may not be clear, it gets confusing, the page is too full, or maybe we even stop reading.

One thing I have noticed though is that sometimes one or two words placed just right can open you up to a whole different space and moment.  It can be the breakthrough, the key, the opening of the door to finding the real message inside! 



2 comments:

  1. good post

    i think the same way about writing music - finding the most direct path, no more, no less

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete