Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Did You do this too.

 

Write out some of Mom's recipes
before You left Home
?

Dona Anderson

I sure did, and it was over 50 years ago.

I started with a lined notebook and filled it with those ones from everyday things to special occasions and Sunday suppers. 

Later on of course the book was full of flour, butter and other things from being well used so about 25 years ago I decided I had to do it over again.

the title -   
It's about Time 

Moms' Best.
A collection of recipes then came from mothers on both sides, grandmothers, friends and of course ones I made up.

The title was prefect for several reasons. 

*The history of the old recipes
*The years of memories attached
*The task of finally starting over
*The change from at home moms to working
moms with less time
*We couldn't read a lot of the pages anymore
* Recipes needed updates for less fat & sugar
* Some not wanted anymore
* Kids leaving home and wanting those basic
instructions added in like temp & time 
*My sisters also wanted a copy

As I was taking too long to get it done with other things to do, my Husband took over  the typing task to get it finished. (such a good helper he is)

Wow, I never counted it before and was surprised that there were 120 pages with 388 recipes. 

Even though I changed many recipes before, others now need to be deleted or updated again. 

And now again much later we have more books of recipes from ones online and my husband loves to make soups and other things to share. 

It's a time now when stores are normally full of things we didn't know what they were or are, lots more spices, vegetables, boxes and cartons of ?? fill the shelves. 

I often wonder about who buys all the other stuff that we never do.




PS. This salad I made in the Spring from a mix of stuff in the fridge and it was fun to put together and made with Fruit, Vegetables and the lettuce growing in the window.

To my surprise it was quite good and a way to use up things in the fridge/freezer.

A little Balsamic vinegar, Olive oil, the strawberry juice and a few spices made the dressing. 

I forgot the lemon on this one and I wasn't sure of what spices to use so that's for next time.

It's fun to get those few day old goodies and create something different, tasty & healthy!

Now it's that time of year for markets to be selling those big bags of potatoes, onions apples and other things to store for the winter.

And lots of pies, jams, and goodies being made now to fill up the freezer and cold rooms. (Well maybe not here, freezer is full and I have to have room for my fruit cake.

And, it's that time of year when I'm  complaining 
we have to go back to store bought tomatoes.

Take care and have a wonderful day.

Thanks for sharing with others at the links below.

And, No, I won't be redoing the recipes again 
so that task is crossed off the list.



 


I like to visit the book sales to find recipe books that have a beautiful cover that then becomes my Kitchen Art.




Take Care and let's get together again next Tuesday

or whenever You have time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment