Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Spreading gifts of wellness...

One Rose Wellness Cards

How they Began

Roots to Breath, Dona Anderson


A few years ago after Simply, One Breath At a Time was printed and I was doing some group library readings, I wanted to end that special time with all of us participating in something together. So I started pulling little messages from Simply, and putting them on paper so each person could pick one, share it with the group if they wanted, and then take it home with them.

This started what later became my set of One Rose Wellness Cards. 

I have the regular set of 105 cards all looking wonderful in various colored organza bags, and then I repeated the same messages in a set for sharing with people at shows.  I put the messages on a few different colors of paper so they can either just pick one or pick from the colors.  I ask those passing by if they’d like a wellness card, some say no, but most say yes, and it is usually the start of a smile coming to their face as well.

Some pick a card, say Thank You, and read it as they continue on their way but most people stop and read it, smile, say Thank You, and so many say this is just what they needed or it is so true for them. When groups are picking they all read each others message and have fun together.  Many people like to stay to chat for a few minutes, some have shared their stories of sadness, and some talk about wellness changes they’ve been making in life. 

I really enjoyed it this summer when one little boy came behind the table and asked for a card, and needed one for his Dad as well.  Recently two young teenage girls told me about how stressed their mothers are when they came home from work each day, and some tell me their card from the last time I saw them is still on the fridge and being read every day.   

This year I have given out over 2100 of the individual wellness cards, and I hope these little messages will reappear from the bags, pockets, and purses to be read again another day... 

No comments:

Post a Comment