Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Sprinkling of Courage, repost

Sprinkling of Courage

Dona Anderson
Dona Anderson

This is the 3rd of the 4 retirement articles I did for Island Gals magazine in 2012, and a reposting of it from February 2013.  As with all 4 of these articles I still continue to see further growth in myself and awhile back I heard in an online interview with an author her say how she had to learn to see that she was still OK after doing something fearful to her.  She also said she used to not say anything because she thought it would be wrong.  It's so good when we get our chance to discover, experience and grow further into who we are and can become.  Coming soon the fourth article, Pages for you ... just to be you.


Sprinkling of Courage!            

I remember years ago on TV, I think it was Dr Phil, saying something about if you were your own personal manager, you’d fire yourself.  Luckily, those words have stayed with me and they seem even more important to me now as my life is a book of many pages and I want to fill what’s left with lots of good things. 

When I was working full time I had my stand-by list of excuses;  too tired, not well, too far, wrong day, stressed out etc., so it was easy to stay in my shell and I missed out on a lot of things over the years. I don’t want to miss out on things anymore, so I have to value this time and let it reflect what I want to do, learn, and experience. 
There are so many opportunities, and no, I can’t get too lazy, shop till I drop, pig out, or stop exercising, but I do get to spend most of my time guilt free doing what supports me.   I don’t always get it right so my down times remind me of what I like, miss, need, and want to get back to.  While retirement allows a more relaxed schedule, I still have to decide what I need and want to do.

This is my new affirmation:
I value and am worthy of whatever
I want and need to do to feed my soul,
and be happy and healthy!

My imaginary book is doing well.  The pages have stories of new passions and experiences, personal changes, music, relaxation, yoga, travelling, nature, puppies, family and friends, my book and blog, and much more!  One day a friend who’s ten years younger asked if she could follow me to see what I’m doing as I age, I said of course as I also have a couple of older friends that I watch for inspiration.
This past winter, I started guitar lessons, went to a couple of courses at our Elder College, and I also taught for them a gentle beginner yoga class.  I was thrilled to be with so many wonderful people.  It seems age also gives us more to say, share, and comment on than what I remember from my earlier school days.  It was such a unique and fun experience!  One lady also told me that age makes us speed up new relationships as we don’t know how much time we have.

During these last few years I’ve met many interesting people who like me are valuing this time to expand their interests, while also learning to let go of fears, guilt, and excuses.  And, like me many are adding into the mix their own personal sprinkling of courage.  They are exciting to talk to, be with, learn from, and are mentors for others. 

My ”manager” often reminds me that I spend too much time writing when other things are being ignored, so I reply …
“This is my day to rest!”



What are some of your Sprinklings of Courage?


Simply, One Breath At a Time is available in
paper copy and eBook Amazon and other
eBook formats at online booksellers.


No comments:

Post a Comment