Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Huge Mistake

Confession

I was telling the story but it was worse than I thought


.
Dona Anderson

A couple of years ago when we were heading to Arizona after going the the Hay House I Can Do It Conference  in San Jose, we passed the San Luis reservoir in California.

Although it was a beautiful spot it didn't take long to see the water was so low and hearing about all the water shortages in the western states it was very devastating and worrisome.

The big mistake I made goes along with this picture from the Information Center at the reservoir. 

By the time I got home a month or so later, I was telling people about this display and I said ONE BURGER took 65 gallons of water.  (I need to clean my glasses more and take a longer moment to look at things...)

Wrong - Take a close look at the picture and you'll see it says 698 1/2 gallons. 

One burger takes almost 700 gallons of water to get it on our plate.

Now IMAGINE all the food wasted and thrown out in our homes and then think about the restaurants, grocery stores, distributors, farms and so on...

We can't do that anymore!


Last summer we were on a very tight water restriction and couldn't water the lawns and other things. That is nothing compared to other places that have little or none but it was enough to make me stop and think more about how we use water. Its always been around and plentiful to us so unfortunately lots is wasted.

It really annoys me when I have to buy a package of more than I want and know half of it will go bad before I can use it up so I will often give some to a neighbor instead of wasting the work, water, energy, packaging and more that went into it. Simple Example - I bought a package of mini cucumbers and shared with 2 neighbors.

Last summer I started saving tap water in a cute red pitcher I got from IKEA and am still doing it in those times when I'm waiting to get hot water, replacing the water in the kettle or when washing vegetables and other things.

I know this is little, baby steps but it's something I can easily do, makes me feel better and I always use it. I even like the pitcher on the counter!

It's not a surprise that the words Reducing and Conserving take on more and more importance in more and more places.   

Something to think about. 

Our trip south this winter took us by the same reservoir so we stopped in and were happy to see the water level had risen some. I took this picture of the display after I noticed my huge mistake.   


Don't miss future posts!
Links to Share or Comment below.

Take Care!

No comments:

Post a Comment