Monday, December 2, 2013

Christmas Card List


Christmas Card List  As the holiday season approaches and I get out my cards and list of names, I will again be wondering about the people on my list that I only seem to for sure connect with this time of year, how they are, and what has happened in the last year. 
 
Years ago a lovely poem about Christmas cards (author unknown) circulated and it rekindled my need to keep sending out cards even when I felt I didn’t have time and the times had changed.  It starts with “ I have a list of friends I know all written in a book, and every year at Christmas time I op to take a look.  And this is when I realize that these names are a part, not of the book they’re written in but of my heart.”
 
It goes on to say how the list was made of  people that come into our lives, ones who have shaped our lives in some way, ones the years cannot erase, ones we’re indebted to, and ones whose meeting was a gift.  It kind of reminded me of the poem about people coming into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime, see my post April 10, 2013.

I remember when I was little watching my Mom get her cards ready.  It was a big event and would take her several days to finish.  She’d set up the card table in the living room, make  several piles of cards, envelopes and stamps all nice and neat on the table, and then sit down all ready to go with her various lists of names and addresses.  She lovingly signed and addressed the cards to go out to all their special friends and family, and even to local acquaintances as  it was their form of social networking for the time.

My list from many years ago used to also be full of all those same kind of names and now with all the current ways to connect with people at our fingertips, sending Christmas cards gets less and less each year but it is still a special time to think about and be grateful for each person that is on the list.

As our old ways continue to change over time and even if you don’t celebrate this holiday, I hope you can still find that special moment to think about or connect individually somehow with those people in your life that you prefer not to forget, that would be on your list to remember and acknowledge … to let some know they will always be a part of your life, and to let others know that they are the ones that will forever have a special place in your heart …

 Take Care Everyone!

 (check back later for the whole poem)

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete