Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Qi Gong for Beginners

 Wonderful practice for 

Health & Wellness

Dona Anderson 

Welcome and hope you'll like what I have for You today.

I started going to a Tai Chi class at a Senior Centre several years ago and when it was closed due to covid last spring we moved to an outdoors park.

We had some really chilly days, windy days, rainy, sunny and hot days - we got it all over the spring, summer and fall.

Then feeling winter coming on we eventually moved to an indoor space we could use that had space for social distancing with masks when we were allowed to gather.

During this time I also started doing Qigong on You tube. I had done a workshop years ago and knew it was similar to Tai Chi.

I have really enjoyed finding routines from several instructors and the variety sure works my mind. (My new learning)

In Qi Gong I'm learning more about how these movements support my Health and  stimulate the acupressure points, move the chi and lots more. 

Don't let those easy looking movements fool you. Some days it really takes a lot of concentration to decide what is left or right and combine foot and hand movements at the same time. 

Don't worry, it will all come together and I think as long as I'm moving, I'm doing something good for me. 

The video below is by one of the first instructors I began with.

Hope you like it and want to learn more ... 

I also feel better when I can open the window to breathe in the fresh air and hear the birds sing.

More good and healthy feelings.

A lot of the exercises can be done standing or sitting. Do what works for You to start. It's also good to have a chair near by for support if needed.

There are many easy ways to take care of ourselves to improve our Health.  

We just have to start slowly, 

and only do what we can do. 

Stop & Rest when you need to and 

talk to your health care provider as needed.

It's always good to watch a new routine first and see if it's one that works for you or you want to find another video. (easier/less time??)

Remember this is about You not anyone else. 

There are many beginner and on going videos you can check out to find what feels right to you.

There are different time lengths from a few minutes to half hour or so.  

Somedays I might do 1 or 2 short ones and another day a longer one or whatever I have time for.





PS. In our Tai chi outdoor class there was a lady 89, who drove on her own and  came every week with a folding chair to use when she needed to rest for a bit.  

She was sure an inspiration to us "younger ones." 


Take Care - have a good week. 

This video & post is for information purposes only in our quest for Well-being. 



I wish I could share the beautiful
fragrance this lily had.

Thanks for sharing with others -

links below.


1 comment:

  1. Both Qi Gong and Tai Chi are relaxing, lovely to watch and do. Both help us to to relax, breathe, open and support our body & mind while at the same time offer health & wellness opportunities.

    I like getting out in the group for Tai Chi but my favorite is the many exercises Qi Gong offers and the health benefits they provide the more I do and explore.

    ReplyDelete