Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Ancestry results - weren't what we thought

Loss Learning & Confusion  

in our Family Tree?

Dona Anderson.

This last year and a half was a time of great stress, loss and I wonder if others have been feeling the need to learn more about their family history too.

How much do we even know about those past generations and what will be taken forward for the future ones. 

In the past year I got my results from 2 ancestry places and it's great to see many pages of relatives but I wish I knew more of them.  

I guess it would feel better if more current relatives did the test so I'd see more names I knew.  

I have great and great great grandparents but I don't know anything about them other than now I have many pages of  2nd 3rd & 4th + cousins.

What was their story, what was their life about going back to Neanderthal times. 

I guess after so much loss due to covid and other things we want to connect more, to feel we made it here for a reason. It's our time to be seen.

Ancestry Surprises 

My sister got a test several years ago. No surprises and no one else linked to her at the time as a close relative. 

Then over the last few years as more people were added to the sight she had an unknown close connection show up. 

Loss

Contact was made that lead us to learn about an even closer relative, a half Sister who sadly had passed a few months earlier.

It was a very sad and confusing time of grieving someone we hadn't known about,  and lived not far away.

Thankfully her 2 daughters have been very kind and wonderful to tell us about her life and family with lots of information and pictures. It's something we can continue to share on both sides.

Learning

I sent in my sample for testing to a different ancestry at the beginning of this year and did connect to a name I knew of only because of the other information we received earlier.

My heritage showed up as 93.4 % British and Irish, but not really knowing what that meant.

So all was good - right?

Just for Fun I sent in a another sample to the same site my sister had done.

Then our lives kind of changed again.

Confusion


We grew up believing we were Irish. Dad said.

My first results said I was 93.4% British & Irish.

The 2nd test, said I'm 75% Scottish and only 16 % Irish. 

So ringy dingy off to call my sister. 

Why didn't you tell me we're Scottish? 



Do I have to trade in the shamrocks and green beer now for ...

No, I am not eating Haggis

I've visited Scotland  twice, love it and Ireland is still on my bucket list to go for me and My Dad.   

I've only kept 7 old record albums and these are 2 of them so thought I'd share their photo's.



The old days never imagined DNA and the stories and secrets that would show up.

I really don't care what I am. 

So now I'm Scottish and used to be a red head, but it's fun to complain a bit.

Do I have to let go of what was said to be my Irish Temper too?


PSKeep loving those still in your life, and find out more about them sooner in case you don't have a later.

Take Care & Thanks for your visit today.

Your shares at the links below let us send everyday Wellness out into the World to help others. 

A friendly story or information can often help others and make them feel part of a community. 

New posts every Tuesday and over 600 in the archives that you can view, save & share.

Bye for today ☘☘☘



Shamrocks ? - Ok, still love Shamrocks. 


1 comment:

  1. I'm always in awe of how the universe pops those special gifts into our lives, and this one was very special. I start my posts several months before they're published as I always need time to change things, get pictures and finally decide on a date to publish it. This one did just that and then a couple of weeks ago I got a note from one of the daughters mentioned in this post to say that she and her husband would be visiting a spa nearby for a couple of days and did we want to meet. It was a for sure YES and last week it happened, and this week the scheduled post was published. Our time together was very comfortable as we learned about each others lives and family. In all those pages of Ancestry connections perhaps I've met or been standing next to some others at times as well. We never know so that Be Kind message sure starts to mean a lot more.

    ReplyDelete