Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Namaste…what it means to me!

Namaste


Roots to Breath, Dona Anderson

A special word with a special meaning!

I loved it when a new beginner to yoga told me that when she had first heard the word Namaste, she thought that the person said, have a nice day, so that was what she repeated back.

Some usage is as a simple greeting like good day, hello, be well, or as a goodbye so have a nice day does certainly fit in.

I use the word here on my blog sometimes so I thought I would write a bit about how I interpret and use this word. The silent or spoken non contact hand greeting brings your two palms together at the level of your heart.  This greeting can be used by anyone, any age, and it is often used as a written closing notation.  Depending where and how it is used it can have different meanings but normally it is a sign of respect and recognition. 

I’m glad there are various usages for this word as I use it differently as well.  I have used it as a general greeting when arriving or leaving a place, and I’ve used it as a very personal deep thank you. Namaste used in yoga, meditation, and healing practices generally goes a bit deeper and may acknowledge a feeling or sense of oneness. 

In yoga and other group activities and practices it can also be used as a group equalizer, or directed to someone for specific acknowledgment.   I use it as well for personal recognition that our practice is deepening, as a direct thank you and acknowledgment for partner work, at the end of class, or it is sent out to be shared by the group as a whole. 

Namaste, is a Sanskrit word that means, I bow to you.

 A few common versions are:
* I greet the place where you and I are one
* The soul in me acknowledges the soul in you
* The spirit in me respects the spirit in you
* I honor the spirit in you

I’d like to end with this one:

* I honor the place within you (me) that is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace...

Namaste.


You can share this or comment below and if you'd
like to receive new posts sign up to Follow by Email
at the link above, thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment