Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Celebrating Rumi, Last Class!

Rumi, sharing a poem for Two!





Roots to Breath Dona Anderson

As I mentioned in my earlier post dated, March 22, 2012, I had a great time being introduced to so many wonderful poems by Rumi, and listening to them being read aloud by the different voices of the class.

I enjoyed some of the poems just as they were on the surface, while others beckoned me to look further and deeper.  There can be many layers of interpretation, thoughts, and feelings arising from these writings, and I found that as I read more, I experienced and understood more.  Even as a beginner to these poems, some left me thinking about things, people, and experiences in my own life, and some will change the way I look at things.

The last class was especially memorable.   We got to take turns sharing one of our favourite poems with the class, and then something wonderful happened. 

One of the ladies brought to share the poem below.  She also brought her classical guitar and had arranged music so she could play and sing the poem for us.  For me, who had just started learning guitar, it was the best way to end this class, and let me know I was where I was supposed to be.  For me that day, it compared to a big bowl of the best fresh garden strawberries of my dreams, on delicious smooth ice cream…in that moment, everything else melted away. 

I sat, loved it all, and wanted more!  Namaste.


You & I
by Rumi

“A moment of happiness,
You and I sitting on the verandah,
Apparently two, but one in soul, you and I.

We feel the flowing water of life here,
You and I, with the garden’s beauty
And the birds singing.

The stars will be watching us,
And we will show them
What it is to be a thin crescent moon.

You and I unselfed, will be together,
Indifferent to idle speculation, you and I.

The parrots of heaven will be cracking sugar
As we laugh together, you and I.
In one form upon this earth,
And in another form in a timeless sweet land.”




Catch up with me on Facebook & Twitter

If you like this sign up to follow by email and 
below you can share or comment. 


Much thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment