Tuesday, April 15, 2014

How to win against stress!

How to win against stress!

Who's winning stress or you?

Roots to Breath, Dona Anderson

It was an invitation out for supper on Sunday that made me realize this is the long weekend for Easter.  I knew it was coming but never checked the calendar to know whether it was this weekend or the next one.  Now that we're retired with fun jobs and no children around we forget about many of the holidays. Over the years the quiet observances of holidays seemed to change to travelling to visit family, doing house repairs, yard work or other projects on the big to do list.  No time to rest -  always things to do.

I'm even reminded about how tired I was back then, all my aches and pains, and the times while waiting for my TV show to come on I fell asleep sitting on the couch and woke up when it was over. I have to tell you about one time we went to an organ concert and I fell asleep for the whole second part ... can you imagine a few rows away from a pipe organ and me sleeping - how embarrassing!

When I started yoga through a lunch time work program I was always asking if we could do the relaxation part to start.  I was joking but not really ... I was wanting to just lay down and have some quiet time to let my body rest and restore. After the first few times to feel the breath, soften and open up I was hooked. I looked forward to each time so I could feel better even if it was only for a few minutes. Then strange things started to happen ... not all at once and it took time for me to even notice them.  I started sitting up straighter, I started staying awake on the bus ride home and quit being a slumped over old lady drooling.  I started noticing I had a breath, a body and a mind that I could work with, that I could talk to and change.  I started to listen, to become aware and present!

Dona Anderson
I believe that once we see this tiny glimmer of light there is hope and we start to want more.  We start to change and want to know what else is possible. I kept on and quit some things that I thought were good for me but weren't.  I paid more attention to things that bothered me and made changes. I made space around me to breathe, and although to do lists can also be stressful, I used mine to not give me stress by just having one or two things on it that I needed to do and could handle at a time. I know some people hate the word routine, but for me the regular routine back then was what held it all together.

So why am I telling you all this? I guess I'm thinking about my readers and hoping that you find your stress relievers, your guide, your soft resting place that helps you be you so you can share with us your success story.  I am thankful for all the wonderful changes in my life.  My new passions allow me to talk to you, and to share my love of writing out into the world. I found out that when it's time for the cocoon to open the butterfly emerges.

If you missed it, healing gifts of spring in this earlier post 

You'll find ways to create your soft resting place here.




If you like this or my other posts, I hope you'll sign up to Follow by Email so you won't miss new posts, and you can share or comment below.

Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment